Here is all you need to know about Car Tire, the numbers on the sidewalls and which Tyre to use in what application, read on – Car Tire Facts 101.
Want To Know More About Tyre’s?
All Cars have them and must be replace periodically, How do you choose which Tires are Best?
What do you prioritize when buying a car tire?
price – brand – style – quality – use – availability – convenience – durability
Whatever you prioritize it is important to know a few basics about Car Tires, below is a chart that visually explains the fundamentals of the average car tire. That puzzling numbers on the tire is explained in simple terms.
Numbers and Letters on the Sidewalls of the Tire?
- P – Passenger Car
- LT – Light Truck
- ST – Special Trailer
- T – Temporary (restricted usage for “space-saver” spare wheels)
- 215/55R15 would mean that the nominal width of the tire is approximately 215 mm at the widest point, the height of the side-wall of the tire is 55% of the width (107 mm in this example).
- R means that it is a radial tire, In this design, the cord or the plies are arranged at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, or radially (from the center of the tire).
- The tyre fits 15-inch-diameter wheels.
- 98 would depict the Load Rating of the tyre and the H would represent the Speed Rating of the Tyre, how fast in Kilometers per hour you may safely drive with these tyres fitted.
Tire Speed Rating Chart
It really is an indication of a tyre’s ability to dissipate heat to avoid a blowout. Higher speeds mean greater heat buildup.
Tyres with higher speed ratings are constructed to handle heat better. In general, they also ride harder than tyres with lower speed ratings. Below is a chart to guide you in understanding Tyre Speed Ratings.
Load Ratings for Car Tires
This depicts the load which the tire can bear safely. So if you are driving a pick up which you use for loading heavy items, you would take this into consideration when you fit Tires to your Pick Up and so too if you have a Minivan which you use as a passenger transporter.
The loads would be heavier than a Sedan or Sports Car.
The tire above the load rating was 98, so according to the chart below this tire could carry a capacity of 1653 Pounds or 750 Kilograms.
Although one has to take into consideration on what kind of Surface and Terrain the tires would be used on.
Three Important Car Checks To Perform Periodically On Your Car
Tires wear constantly, but when the suspension components of your car wears or the wheel alignment is not checked and set regularly or the Tires are not inflated to its correct pressure, then premature tire wear occurs as depicted in the illustrations below.
So simple Maintenance will save you lots of money on unnecessary cost for premature wear on your car’s tires.
Consider this when next your car needs new tyres.
What are your thoughts on tyres, was this article helpful? Where do you buy your tyres?
Please leave a COMMENT or QUESTION, I will reply ASAP.
I am at your service if there is anything I can help you with.
Drop in on My profile page
Until Next Time “Safe Motoring”